- Supermarket to turn off music and other noises associated with shopping for an hour every Sunday -
- Quieter hour to take place in all stores on their first hour of trading from 11 October -
Morrisons is introducing ‘quieter hours’ on Sundays with no music, checkout beeps or PA announcements for the first hour of shopping.
For stores that open from 10-4pm, quiet hours will operate from 10am-11am.
Quieter hours currently operate every Saturday between 9am – 10am in all Morrisons stores.
The initiative was first introduced in 2018 after listening to families affected by autism who shared their difficulties in shopping in noisy and busy environments.
Many customers have appreciated the initiative and as a result it will now be extended to the first hour of store opening every Sunday to provide more opportunities to shop peacefully.
During Quieter Hours stores will:
- Dim the lights
- Turn music and radio off
- Avoid making tannoy announcements
- Reduce movement of trolleys and baskets
- Turn checkout beeps and other electrical noises down
- Place a poster outside to tell customers it's Quieter Hour
David Potts Morrisons Chief Executive, said “The introduction of the quieter hours has been appreciated by many customers who prefer to shop in a calmer environment. Extending them to include Sundays will offer more opportunities to shop more peacefully.”
A quieter hour will operate in the first hour from opening at every Morrisons store from this Sunday, 11 October.
For information on Morrisons store opening times, visit:
- Ends -