Morrisons is today launching the ‘Volcanic Vindaloo’, featuring the Naga chilli – one of the world’s hottest. Created for National Curry Week starting October 9th, it is the hottest supermarket curry ever made in the UK.
- The Naga has a Scoville rating of up to one million – 200 times hotter than Tabasco Sauce or a Jalapeño. Some Naga chilli varieties are hotter than pepper spray and others have been used to develop tear gas grenades.
- The ‘Volcanic Vindaloo’ is aimed at extreme curry lovers who find the spice levels in existing ready meals too tame. Morrisons is the first supermarket to take up the challenge and create a ready meal curry that has the fiery heat of a restaurant-bought Chicken Vindaloo.
- The supermarket has worked with a team of expert curry chefs to develop a dish that not only packs the gigantic, eye watering chilli punch that aficionados of red hot curries demand, but also retains the traditional depth of flavour that Vindaloo is famed for.
- To add even more fire, the ‘Volcanic Vindaloo’ is also topped with whole green chillies - roasted to intensify the flavour and heat - in the unlikely event that a curry fans fancy an even bigger chilli hit.
- To notify customers about the curry’s extreme heat, its packaging carries a warning notice and it has been given a six chilli rating – the first time it has ever been used on a Morrisons product. The supermarket has strongly recommended that only people over the age of 16 tackle the ‘Volcanic Vindaloo’.
- Morrisons Ready Meals Expert, Sean Gill, said: “Curry fans have been telling us that they just don’t get the fiery heat the want from ordinary ready meal curries. So we decided to take up their challenge and create the hottest ready meal in the country – something with the extreme heat you get when you order a Vindaloo in your favourite restaurant. We’re looking forward to hearing what they think.”
- Morrisons has created a hashtag - #volcanicvindaloo - so chilli fans can upload videos of themselves tackling it.
- The ‘Volcanic Vindaloo’ is available from all Morrisons stores from 9th October, for a limited period, priced at £1.50.
- Published 09/10/17