At Morrisons, we're committed to using sustainably sourced palm oil in our products.
Palm is the highest yielding vegetable oil crop in the world. In producing countries, millions of farmers and their families work in the palm oil sector, in Indonesia and Malaysia alone, a total of 4.5 million people earn their living from palm oil production. It needs less than half the land required by other crops to produce the same amount of oil and is widely used in food and personal care products in different forms.
Growth in the production of palm has over the last few decades has put pressure on tropical forests and ecosystems. Poor production can lead to rapid and ill-managed production, resulting in serious environmental and social consequences including loss of biodiversity, illegal logging, conflict and the threat to people’s livelihoods.
We are committed to sustainable sourcing and recognise the need for action to address the challenges production of palm oil poses. Our approach aims to ensure its sustainable production where it is used.
All palm oil and derivatives used as an ingredient in Morrisons branded products must be sourced through a Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) certified supply chain system. We regularly survey our suppliers to ensure compliance to our palm oil policy and prioritise sourcing from RSPO segregated sources, providing better assurance for our customers.
We also work as part of the Palm Transparency Coalition to help address sustainability challenges beyond certification, and ensure companies in our supply chains are working to meet our commitments on zero deforestation and exploitation.
Labelling of any of our products which use palm oil will clearly specify palm in the ingredients list rather than generic vegetable oil.
In 2021 we used:
- 11,938 tonnes of palm derived ingredients in our products
- 100% RSPO certified
- 81% was RSPO segregated, up from 67% in 2020 and 52% in 2019
- 2011 - New and reformulated Morrisons products that use palm oil as an ingredient to be sourced from an RSPO certified supply chain system.
- 2013 - All Morrisons products that use palm oil as an ingredient to be sourced from an RSPO certified supply chain system.
- 2015 - All Morrisons products that use palm oil as an ingredient to be sourced from either Segregated or Mass Balance RSPO certified supply chain systems. Palm kernel oil used as an ingredient in Morrisons branded products must also be covered by RSPO credits as a minimum.
Who are the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO)?
We support the work of the RSPO and have been members since 2006. The RSPO is a not-for-profit association that brings together stakeholders from sectors of the palm oil industry and has helped establish global standards to ensure sustainable palm oil production. RSPO certification provides independent assurance that palm oil is produced using sustainable practices.